InTheOT: Breaking down what when wrong with the Canucks (Podcast)
The Canucks have been ousted in the first round of the playoffs for the first time since the lockout after another promising regular season winning their second consecutive President’s Trophy. Falling to the 8th seeded Los Angeles Kings in 5 games. I knew the Canucks were going to struggle this post season and did not think they would make it past the second round and pegged this series as dead even. But, if they were ever going to go out never would have I imagined a convincing 5 game Kings victory.
In the past 24 hours I have had some time to think about what went wrong resulting in this playoff failure and have pinned it down to these key points:
- Overvaluing the regular season success
- Overvaluing the true talent of this team with every single core player coming off career years
- Not replacing Ehrhoff with anything, and zero logic applied to the use of Ballard
- Booth Samuelsson trade blowing up in their face
- Trying to change the style of this team with the Hodgson Kassian trade was ATROCIOUS
Last but not least the single most important mistake: REFUSING TO TRADE EITHER LUONGO OR SCHNEIDER in mid-season since back up goalies are worthless in the playoffs.